The Ghosthunting Zealot
by Serban, Quartermaster @ The Guild Hall
June 20 2020
How much do you hate ghosts? Do you hate ghosts so much that you often wish you could create enough radiant power to destroy them to bits in one go? Well, you’re in luck today, because we’ll be presenting you with the perfect fit for your hatred. We present to you: The Ghosthunting Zealot.
As I began to create my Build-a-Blast for this week, it struck me that I hadn’t yet covered something based on the Blood Hunter. As some of you might know, the Blood Hunter is a homebrewed D&D class designed by voice actor and DM phenomenon Matthew Mercer. Safe to say, it has a lot of notoriety and, if you ask other people, a lot of quality too. I, for one, hate the Blood Hunter. Why? Well… Long story made short; I had a bad experience. A horrible experience.
Art credits: Wizards of the Coast (Jason Felix)
Having had my poor juju with the class, I decided to cater a new build to make even me, the most reticent hater of Blood Hunter, would enjoy. So, I decided to pair it with one of the most enjoyable and straightforward classes in the game: Barbarian. Sticking with the Critical Role theme, I looked over Ashley Johnson’s character, Yasha. As it turns out, it fits quite well with a particular subclass. And here it is: The Ghosthunting Zealot. What is it? It is a barbarian that hates ghosts SO MUCH that it just refuses to die. And it packs a massive radiant punch.
The gameplay idea is quite simple: pair up the mighty Zealot Barbarian with the Order of the Ghostslayer Blood Hunter and maybe a small side-dish of Aasimar for even more radiant glory. But how radiant is it? Well, your Crimson Rite is radiant, your Divine Fury can also be radiant, AND you’ll deal additional damage against undead. Also paired with that is the fact that you’ll be able to play as risky as you desire, seeing as restoring you to life does not require material components. Along with that, you’ll be able to survive lots, because of your many means of revival.
Art credits: RogierB
Tips & Tricks
To purge the world of the filthy ghosts, here are some useful tips & tricks:
- Your critical hits will be your bread and butter. Not only will you double your weapon dice, but you’ll double Crimson Rites, Divine Fury, add in Savage Attacks and attack furiously.
- Want to better your chance at criticals? Pick up some levels in Champion Fighter, and you’ll be doubling your critical hits.
- Want to better it even further? Try some Elven Accuracy! (WARNING: YOUR DM WILL HATE YOU!)
- If you want to ensure that no ghost will ever bring harm upon you: The Aasimar race will give you resistance to necrotic damage!
- Your whole theme centers around radiant damage, so consider the Blood Curse of Exposure.
That’s all that we can come up with for our Ghostbuster, but the rest of it is up to you! How will you flavour it? What’s their personality going to be like? Be sure to let us know in the comments!